How is the CLASS™ tool developed?
Each age and grade level of the CLASS™ observation tool is thoroughly vetted through the development process.
1. Research and Development
- Authors focus on understanding and categorizing developmentally appropriate interactions.
- The initial organization and structure of the measure is created.
- Preliminary use of the tool assures that observers may be reliably trained and that scores are related in expected ways to other classroom measures.
- Data are used to refine and finalize the structure and organization of the measure.
- The initial set of observation training and support materials is developed.
- Teachstone provides a limited number of trainings to research partners to build the dataset around the measure.
The Infant CLASS™ tool is in this stage of development.
3. Field Test
- The now-final version of the tool is made more widely available.
- Development of additional observation training materials is underway.
4. Version 1, 2, 3, etc.
- The full complement of related observation training materials is available.
- Development and dissemination of related professional development programs is underway.
The Toddler, Pre-K, K-3, Upper Elementary and Secondary CLASS™ tools are in this stage of development.